Subject: bug#28297: TeX-search-files: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 23:21:55 +0900

Hi,

>>>>> <[email-masked]> writes:
> If I set in my .emacs file: 
> (setq LaTeX-includegraphics-read-file `LaTeX-includegraphics-read-file-TeX)
> I get the following problem with C-c C-m includegraphics: After asking for the options it hangs and after a minute or so, it displays the error message: 

> TeX-search-files: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

That doesn't occur for me.  I added `(setq LaTeX-includegraphics-read-file
`LaTeX-includegraphics-read-file-TeX)' to my init file and tried C-c C-m
includegraphics RET width=\linewidth RET.  After emacs finished
gathering all the possible file names for completion (it takes a while,
not a real hang), it asked filename to include.  I answered with test
RET and the LaTeX command \includegraphics[width=\linewidth]{test} was
inserted in the emacs buffer as expected.

I'm using AUCTeX 11.91 and Emacs 25.2 on FreeBSD 11.1.

> I used setenv to try several variants for TEXINPUTS, but always with the same result (also if I leave the TEXINPUTS variable empty).

> Auctex version: 11.90.2.2017-07-25
> TexLive Version 2015.20160320-1ubuntu0.1 (on ubuntu 16.04)

Could you provide more detailed information so that we can examine the
problem?  Please include the output of M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET and
sample file which triggers the error.  Also, the backtrace obtained by
enabling debug-on-error option as described on
https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex/FAQ.html
would be helpful.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita