Subject: bug#28268: Fwd: bug#28268: 26.0.50; (MS Windows) crash on C-g after closing Git GUI

From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 17:08:13 +0100

Apologies for dropping the list from the CC.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 August 2017 at 17:01
Subject: Re: bug#28268: 26.0.50; (MS Windows) crash on C-g after closing Git GUI
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>

On 29 Aug 2017 16:18, "Eli Zaretskii" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    > From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
    > Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 22:10:56 +0100
    >
    > Emacs sometimes crashes when I type C-g just after closing a process.
    > I've only seen this happen after the following recipe using Magit on MS
    > Windows. (Not sure whether or not Magit is essential.)
    >
    > Recipe:
    >
    > Visit a git repo.
    > C-x g ; magit-status
    > ! g   ; magit-run-popup, magit-run-git-gui
    > ;; A nasty-looking window pops up (Git GUI, I presume). Close it.
    > C-g   ; Crashes.

    I couldn't reproduce this here: the Git GUI didn't pop up for me.

Those commands are from the Magit package (available on MELPA).

    Perhaps something is missing from the recipe ("C-x g" was also
    unbound), or maybe it's because my Git is configured to be run only
    from Git Bash, not from anywhere else on Windows.

Via the PATH environment variable? (You declined the offer from the
Git For Windows installer to add stuff to your path?) Adding
"C:\Program Files\Git\cmd" to your path temporarily might work if
you want to test.

    However, I installed a change which might fix this problem.  Please
    test the current master.

Thanks. I will do that.

    Also, just so I'm sure I didn't miss
    anything, please post the backtrace from all the threads ("thread
    apply all bt" at GDB prompt), from the binary where you get these
    aborts.

I tried that, but only after sending this Emacs bug report.
Unfortunately it reliably crashes GDB (GDB bug report:
"https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=22024").