Subject: Re: [O] bug#28263: 24.5; Org: `C-c LETTER' keys

From: Allen Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 23:59:23 -0800

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 7:15 AM, Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> That's even worse, IMHO.  And hardly "as neutral as possible".
>
> <snip 100 lines>
>
> Just one opinion.

Could you summarize how you think the situation could be improved in
one or two sentences?

I think what you are trying to say is, Org mode should make global
key bindings for some commands.

However, this is problematic because there are pretty much no global
keys available that are not reserved for major modes, minor modes, or
the user, and at any rate I don’t think we could justify binding
global keys by default since Org mode is a pretty small application
within Emacs.  calendar.el does not have a global key.  remember.el
does not have a global key.  et cetera.  Org mode is no different.

If we make an Org minor mode, that’s really no better than the user
just binding his own keys vs turning on the minor mode.  Also, the
reserved minor mode keys are not very good (hard to press), and they
can conflict with other minor modes, which is probably undesirable for
Org users.

Is your complaint simply that we suggest a key for the user to bind?