Subject: bug#28257: 26.0.50; [PATCH] expose eldoc functions in a hook

From: Mark Oteiza <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 23:11:04 -0400

On 27/08/17 at 10:49pm, [email-masked] wrote:
>Mark Oteiza <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This makes it possible to use the results from multiple eldoc functions
>> at once, through the addition of an abnormal hook.
>
> I'm not sure
>what exactly what you mean by "use the results from multiple eldoc
>functions".  Is that something not possible currently?

If both the buffer mode's documentation function and the function in the
default-value return non-nil at a point, execution stops at the
:before-until function, analogous to run-hook-with-args-until-success.

I want to see both results.  See what eldoc-documentation-compose does.

>> I'm not aware of a good way to access the default value (or other local
>> values) of eldoc-documentation-function when shadowed by a :before-until
>> advice returning non-nil.
>
>Doesn't (default-value 'eldoc-documentation-function) work?

FSVO "work".

To do what is described above, not only does one have to write some
wrapper function to advise eldoc-documentation-function buffer-locally,
but also one has to hook into any/every mode that might add its own doc
function.