Subject: Re: [bug#28253] perl-www-opensearch: provide Test-Simple module

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 12:45:15 +0200

ng0 <[email-masked]> writes:

> Updated patch with a small comment grammar fix.
>
> Purpose of this patch: to add a dependency which was
> previously unknown and had to be figured out by the
> person who would try to fix the tests. So to go from
> "nothing, uh what do we need here?" to
> "hey, we have the test dependency" is an improvement
> and not just a "work in progress" one-liner.

Right.  I don't think adding dependencies that does not change anything
with the package is very useful.  A comment stating that this dependency
would be needed to enable tests would do the same purpose without
changing the derivation.  But, it would take any packager about 20
seconds to find that Test::Simple is needed, so it's kind of "stating
the obvious".

Anyway I tried building this package with tests enabled and just kept
adding the modules it could not find as native-inputs until it
succeeded.  So I pushed a superset of this patch as
3fe666aa29e72a9fbb1e267eebcd7d197ec802f3.