Subject: Re: 23.0.91; initial-buffer-choice useless with emacs daemon

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:34:56 -0400

>> > the new variable initial-buffer-choice seems useless when using emacs
>> > as a daemon and emacsclient. This variable probably sets the initial
>> > frame of the daemon, but does not affect the emacs clients. The buffer
>> > is opened but not visible, the *scratch* buffer is opened instead.
>> 
>> Currently, server-create-tty-frame and server-create-window-system-frame
>> are hardcoded to display *scratch* if no emacsclient argument is given.
>> In bug #2825, Damien Cassou has argued that they should obey
>> initial-buffer-choice.
>> 
>> Are there any objections?

> Showing the startup screen every time when connecting to the server can
> be seriously annoying for the user.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the startup screen", but if a user
prefers to start with a (dired "~/") than with *scratch*, I can't think
of a good reason why we should disregard this preference when connecting
via the emacsclient.

        Stefan