Subject: Re: 23.0.91; initial-buffer-choice useless with emacs daemon

From: Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 08:13:06 -0700 (PDT)

Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> writes:

  > > the new variable initial-buffer-choice seems useless when using emacs
  > > as a daemon and emacsclient. This variable probably sets the initial
  > > frame of the daemon, but does not affect the emacs clients. The buffer
  > > is opened but not visible, the *scratch* buffer is opened instead.
  > 
  > Currently, server-create-tty-frame and server-create-window-system-frame
  > are hardcoded to display *scratch* if no emacsclient argument is given.
  > In bug #2825, Damien Cassou has argued that they should obey
  > initial-buffer-choice.
  > 
  > Are there any objections?

Showing the startup screen every time when connecting to the server can
be seriously annoying for the user.

This situation is not equivalent with showing the startup screen when
starting emacs because we assume that emacs is not started very often.
Connecting/disconnecting to the server is a much more frequent action
for some use cases.

So changing this at this point does not sound like a good idea.  If it
needs to be changed at all it can wait until 23.2.  If many people don't
like it we'll generate yet another very long discussion (like all
discussions about the startup screen), and it's simply not worth it when
trying to get a release out.