Subject: Re: bug#28242: Batch mode compiling: Error messages are displayed with "invalid character" glyph bounding symbols.

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 11:43:16 -0700

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 12:47:21 -0400, Glenn Morris wrote:
> 
>> If your system has the same issue with gcc warnings (and if you choose
>> not to answer the question, a cynic like me will assume it does), ...
su
> It does.

Then you'll need to fix your setup to get GCC working, as well as Emacs.

> Diagonal lines are the font's representation
> of ASCII grave (0x60), and arise from typing the key to the left of "1".

So this font cannot even display ASCII? Another annoyance. While you're fixing 
that you might as well fix the curved quotes.

I don't see this as rising to something that we need to worry about. Emacs is 
behaving consistently with other programs. Even with the display glitches, the 
batch diagnostics are still quite intelligible, so the glitches are merely an 
annoyance.

If despite my advice we decide to support this misconfigured font, then we need 
to change the default batch quoting style to 'straight', not 'grave'. This is 
because the font in question cannot display grave accent either. It would be a 
simple matter to use the 'straight' quoting style for all batch invocations. I'm 
not in favor of this, though.