Subject: bug#28242: Batch mode compiling: Error messages are displayed with "invalid character" glyph bounding symbols.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 09:16:54 +0000

Hello, Paul.

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 01:16:45 -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
[ .... ]

> > On my new PC (Gentoo GNU/Linux), byte compiling in batch mode (e.g. with
> > make bootstrap in the master branch) is displaying warning messages with
> > symbols "quoted" by the invalid character glyph (a solid square) rather
> > than ` and '.

[ .... ]

> For what it’s worth, I don’t observe the problem on my Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 
> console. I see curved quotes. I don’t remember doing anything to configure my 
> console. Here is my /etc/default/console-setup file: it may help you to set up 
> your computer.

This bug report is not about setting up _my_ computer.  It's an attempt
to make Emacs compatible with what's out there in the field.  Emacs
should not require a special console setup to display error and warning
messages properly.

I think the font in use on my new box must be part of Linux itself,
rather than being a default chosen by Gentoo and then loaded during
booting.  Emacs ought to be compatible with Linux.

Why are these curly quotes being output without first checking that the
device they're being output to can display them?

[ .... ]

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).