Subject: Re: bug#28236: 'configure --with-cairo' causes 'emacs -font' to fail

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:56:21 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 12:34:54 +0100
>> 
>> So xfns.c only initializes the xfont driver when not using Cairo. I
>> made the obvious changes there, and 'emacs -Q -fn 7x14' starts up, and
>> 'C-u C-x =' tells me:
>> 
>>  x:-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1 (#x68)
>> 
>> Unfortunately *scratch* does not (re-)display properly
>
> Can you tell more details about this improper redisplay?

I see text for the menu-bar, but *scratch* looks empty (and thereʼs no
text displayed in the mode-line). The text is actually there in
*scratch*, though.

I donʼt think this is a viable path to look at, especially given Ari's
workaround of copying the required fonts.

Robert