Subject: Re: bug#28233: CC Mode 5.33 (C/*l); Emacs may get stuck with 100% CPU

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 10:57:32 +0000

Hello again, Mohammed.

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 06:54:11 +0530, Mohammed Sadiq wrote:

[ .... ]

> The patch surely fixed the issue. Thanks

> By the way, the patch wasn't applying to the current HEAD of emacs git.
> I had to manually add those lines it. Is it built from some other
> source? Alternatively, can I say patch to skip some n lines (positive
> or negative) than the ones said in diff and try to apply?

Sorry about that.  I fixed the bug, and created the patch in standalone
CC Mode, so the line numbers do differ a bit.  However, I checked that
the patch would apply to the Emacs sources before sending it to you, by:

    $ patch --dry-run < ~/path/to/diff.20170826.diff

in the Emacs .../lisp/progmodes directory.  This `patch' is the standard
GNU utility, with $ patch --version returning:

    GNU patch 2.7.5
    Copyright (C) 2003, 2009-2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    Copyright (C) 1988 Larry Wall

.  It copes fine with the line numbers in the patch and the target file
being a little adrift, or with there being extraneous text present (such
as when patch is presented with an entire email as a patch file).

Which patch utility are you using?

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).