Subject: bug#28230: offloading does not transfer build logs

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 22:43:24 +0200

Hi,

ng0 <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Short and simple, currently we have this, assuming that
> you have first build mutt on a different machine via offloading
> builds afterwards produce this:
>
> guix build --no-build-hook --log-file mutt
> guix build: error: no build log for '/gnu/store/zmx9c4akha95l13c5066phgm6vgdbbf9-mutt-1.8.3.drv'
>
> Expected behavior would be that you get the location of the
> build log.

Note that you may need --no-grafts, otherwise you’re asking for the log
of the grafting derivation.

Apart from that, offloading does “transfer” logs to the master node
(search for ‘build-log-port’ in (guix scripts offload)).  So the master
node ends up with the build log as it if were built locally.

There’s one exception though: if the thing that was offloaded was
actually already available in the build machine’s store, then the master
node won’t get any build log.  Perhaps that’s what happened?

HTH,
Ludo’.