Subject: bug#28182: maybe implement CTRL++ to zoom text

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 01:56:28 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > > I've attached a tentative patch along those lines.  WDYT?
> >
> > Any reason to make the new behavior be the default, i.e. break
> > backward compatibility?  Why not make this an opt-in feature instead?
>
> I think it's a better default, since it's more in line with user
> expectations.  The "Ctrl+mouse whell changes font size" behaviour is
> pretty ubiquitous in browsers, text editors and IDEs.  From the top of
> my head, you can change the font size (sometimes called "zoom") using
> this shortcut in Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Eclipse, LibreOffice, Adobe
> Reader, evince, and many, many others.  From searching the web, this
> seems to be the default also in Atom, Sublime Text, TextMate,
> Notepad++ and IntelliJ.  VSCode stands out by making this optional.
>
> We could of course make it an opt-in feature should we want to do that.
>
> > > I'm not sure exactly how to reformulate the doc string for
> > > mouse-wheel-scroll-amount to fit the new behaviour.  I'll have to
> > > think about it a bit more.  Do let me know if you have any ideas.
> >
> > I'm not sure we need to change the doc string, but we definitely need
> > to change the :version tag.
>
> Fixed that in the attached patch.

I don't feel comfortable pushing this without an explicit go-ahead.
What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas