Subject: bug#28176: closed (Re: bug#28176: 26.0.50; Emacs hangs on entering a specific article in gnus)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 20:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#28176: 26.0.50; [macOS] Emacs hangs on entering a specific article in gnus

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
28176: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28176
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#28176: 26.0.50; Emacs hangs on entering a specific article in gnus
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles A. Roelli" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 21:16:09 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 09:56:15PM +0200, Charles A. Roelli wrote:
> > Unless it’s actually index that’s at fault since it’s *not* a
> > Lisp_Object?
> 
> I think you're right.  This prevents the PNG error from causing a
> hang for me (adding a call to make_number):
> 
>   add_to_log ("Unable to set index %d for image %s", make_number (index), img->spec);
> 
> And *Messages* ends up with the right error:
> 
>   Unable to set index 0 for image (image :type png :data \211PNG^M...
>   (followed by the raw image bytes)

Thanks. Fixed.
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 26.0.50; Emacs hangs on entering a specific article in gnus
From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 12:09:13 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs hangs with a yellow triangle in the middle of the frame
(indicating ding) but C-g and C-] do not interrupt.
CPU usage is at 90%.
The only way out is "force quit" in activity monitor.
"sample" is attached
I seem to be able to reproduce the hang by trying to enter a specific
article in an nntp group.
Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin16.7.0, NS appkit-1504.83 Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G29))
 of 2017-08-21 built on Clr-Sam.local
Repository revision: 9840499564c90c43b1d269154593ebe57a7cb9b0
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1504
Recent messages:
Shell native completion is enabled.
Flymake mode disabled in current buffer
Can’t guess python-indent-offset, using defaults: 4
Sent: ## poor man's notebook...
Quit
mouse-2: visit this file in other window [3 times]
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
scroll-up-command: End of buffer [7 times]
Mark set
mouse-2: visit this file in other window

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/imagemagick/lib/pkgconfig/
 --without-makeinfo'

Configured features:
JPEG NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win emacsbug message subr-x
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader sendmail add-log view cl-print
remember conf-mode score-mode dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
semantic/html cursor-sensor mhtml-mode css-mode smie color eww puny
mm-url url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap shr svg xml
browse-url js cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs sgml-mode dom flyspell ispell
company-capf company-semantic vc-dir ewoc vc semantic/tag-file
semantic/imenu semantic/sort vc-git semantic/db-file data-debug
cedet-files semantic/wisent/python semantic/decorate/include
semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref semantic/decorate/mode
semantic/decorate pulse semantic/dep semantic/wisent/python-wy
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent rx company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-cmake company-xcode company-clang
company-eclim company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb
cl-extra yasnippet flymake flymake-proc flymake-ui company pcase
help-fns radix-tree help-mode elpy find-file-in-project ivy delsel
ivy-overlay ffap thingatpt diff-mode elpy-profile elpy-django easy-mmode
s elpy-refactor derived edmacro kmacro ido grep compile files-x etags
xref project cus-edit python tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver shell pcomplete parse-time format-spec comint ansi-color
elec-pair rcirc ring vc-dispatcher vc-hg warnings midnight ein-loaddefs
pyvenv json map gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit bbdb-mua
bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb-loaddefs bbdb bbdb-site timezone
edit-server advice server finder-inf info package seq semantic/db-mode
semantic/db eieio-base semantic/idle semantic/format ezimage
semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt which-func imenu
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq password-cache url-vars
semantic/util-modes easymenu semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs mode-local find-func cedet paren
help-at-pt desktop frameset cus-start cus-load cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 634668 35070)
 (symbols 48 45010 1)
 (miscs 40 13275 52)
 (strings 32 220769 13312)
 (string-bytes 1 5560902)
 (vectors 16 90188)
 (vector-slots 8 1891734 7590)
 (floats 8 467 735)
 (intervals 56 6832 0)
 (buffers 992 60))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504
http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net http://think-israel.org
http://americancensorship.org https://ffii.org http://honestreporting.com
My suicidal thoughts are killing me.