Subject: Re: bug#28176: 26.0.50; Emacs hangs on entering a specific article in gnus

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 20:10:50 +0100

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 04:29:35PM +0200, Charles A. Roelli wrote:
> Seems like this may be a side effect of a recent change adding GIF
> support in macOS (I'm CCing the author, Alan Third).

I’m quite confused. I tested this against gifs and jpegs, and they
both worked fine. I never tested against pngs as I assumed, being
a single image format like jpeg, it would work the same. It seems that
jpegs are handled differently, though, as I stuck an fprintf in
ns_load_image and it didn’t print anything when I loaded a jpeg.

Anyway, I’ve pushed a modification which fixes pngs while keeping
animated gifs working.

> In nsimage.m:111 (ns_load_image), there is this call to add_to_log:
> 
> add_to_log ("Unable to set index %d for image %s", index, img->spec);
> 
> but img->spec is a Lisp_Object:
> 
> (gdb) ptype img->spec
> type = struct Lisp_Object {
>     EMACS_INT i;
> }
> 
> Maybe "%s" doesn't cover Lisp_Objects?  At any rate, that seems to be
> what the error message is about.

This looks like it’s the same way it’s handled in image.c, so I don’t
know why it doesn’t work here.

Unless it’s actually index that’s at fault since it’s *not* a
Lisp_Object?
-- 
Alan Third