Subject: Re: bug#28160: Support newer version of python

From: Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:17:48 +0200

Hello Bastien,

Bastien ROUCARIES <[email-masked]> writes:

> Following https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=872052
> could you suppoort python3.8 python3.7 and python3.6 ?

Python 3.6 is already added In last release 1.15.1.

Since Python 3.7 and 3.8 are not release yet, I am not comfortable
adding those in the hard-coded list from m4/python.m4.  As stated in the
inline FIXME comment below, we are aware that the current detection of
python is not future proof:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_PYTHON],
 [
  dnl Find a Python interpreter.  Python versions prior to 2.0 are not
  dnl supported. (2.0 was released on October 16, 2000).
  dnl FIXME: Remove the need to hard-code Python versions here.
  m4_define_default([_AM_PYTHON_INTERPRETER_LIST],
[python python2 python3 python3.6 python3.5 python3.4 python3.3 python3.2 dnl
 python3.1 python3.0 python2.7 python2.6 python2.5 python2.4 python2.3 dnl
 python2.2 python2.1 python2.0])
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Instead of preemptively adding possible future version of Python that
hopefully would be released, I would prefer a solution that removes the
need to hard-code them.

WDYT?

-- 
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37