Subject: bug#28157: closed (Re: bug#28157: “r-minimal”retains no reference to “which”)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 14:34:01 +0000

Your bug report

#28157: “r-minimal” retains no reference to “which”

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
28157: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28157
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#28157: “r-minimal” retains no reference to “which”
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 16:33:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Pushed to master with bd3a184613e20155a8b3e417f00f4d59ff0935e6.

Thanks for the assistance!

-- 
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

Subject: “r-minimal” retains no reference to“which”
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: "'bug-guix\@gnu.org'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 13:16:50 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

R provides a function “Sys.which”, which embeds the full path to “which”
at configure time.  The path it embeds is that of “which” *before*
grafts.

The final package does not retain any reference to the “which” package,
however.  What’s worse: this cannot be fixed by adding “which” to the
environment, as “Sys.which” holds a reference to the ungrafted “which”
package.

This is a problem in containers, where the ungrafted “which” will not be
available even when the “which” package is added to the container.

It may also be a security problem, because R references an ungrafted
package.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net