Subject: Re: bug#28156: Emacs quietly munges symlink contents

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 15:16:13 +0200

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Paul,

>> That's fine if LINKNAME is also remote, since symlinks act
>> locally. That is, if TARGET and LINKNAME are both remote to the same
>> filesystem, Tramp can continue to munge TARGET so that it works on
>> that filesystem. However, Tramp should not be in the business of
>> specifying symlink behavior for local symbolic links. It should let
>> the OS do that. If LINKNAME is local, TARGET should just act as itself
>> without Tramp getting in the way.
>
> Tramp checks already in this case, that LINKNAME and TARGET belong to
> the same remote filesystem. I just need to add the case, that TARGET is
> used literally otherwise.

I've commited a patch to the repo which does it for Tramp. Well, there
are still some minor oddities when testing with the smb method, will fix
this the next days.

>> diff --git a/test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el b/test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el
>> index 55f4b52..99a21f3 100644
>> --- a/test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el
>> +++ b/test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el
>
> You don't need to do this, I'll care for Tramp. Likely, I will add
> further tests here.

Done also.

Best regards, Michael.