Subject: bug#28149: 26.0.50; Emacs regularly hangs for multiple seconds in e.g. find-file

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 19:32:34 +0300

> From: Alexander Asteroth <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 09:50:44 +0200
> 
> I suspected the read(4, ....) call since it always appears near the end,
> but then tried also stracing emacs -Q and a) it does not seem to have
> the hanging problem and b) it also containes these reads, that take 0.4
> to 0.9 seconds.
> 
> Any suggestion how I could narrow down the cause of this problem?

If "emacs" hangs, but "emacs -Q" doesn't, then how about bisecting
your init file to find the customization(s) that cause these hangs?

One other thing to try is start the profiler (M-x profiler-start), do
whatever it takes to cause the hang, then type M-x profiler-report,
expand all the branches in the tree it presents and post the result
here.  This could give a hint about the package/feature which causes
this.

Thanks.