Subject: 25.1; Timeout waiting for property notify event when select-active-regions is t

From: Brady Garvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 10:03:19 -0500

1. Start Emacs (under X):
    $ emacs -Q
2. Type M-x 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 RET C-SPC M-<

Expected behavior: The region encompasses the entire scratch buffer,
including the million new blank lines, and the region is highlighted.

Actual behavior: Emacs hangs for a few moments and then reports "Timed
out waiting for property-notify event".  Subsequently, the region is
correct and correctly highlighted.  (The entire actual behavior,
however, is correct when select-active-regions is nil.)

Quite possibly a bug in X, not Emacs, but I can reliably reproduce the
problem ever since upgrading to Ubuntu 17.04, so if there are steps I
can take to help debug, please let me know.

Possibly already discussed at
http://emacs.1067599.n8.nabble.com/bug-13486-24-2-92-large-X-selections-timed-out-waiting-for-property-notify-event-td275798.html.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-03-29, modified by Debian built on lgw01-37
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11903000
System Description:	Ubuntu 17.04

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs25-4TAPj9/emacs25-25.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
Timed out waiting for property-notify event

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 89737 7401)
 (symbols 48 19978 0)
 (miscs 40 657 125)
 (strings 32 15212 4008)
 (string-bytes 1 449573)
 (vectors 16 12380)
 (vector-slots 8 444396 5041)
 (floats 8 164 169)
 (intervals 56 255 7)
 (buffers 976 18))