Subject: Re: bug#28139: 25.2; TRAMP vs bash 4.4 / readline 7.0 "bracketed paste" mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 13:45:06 +0100

Daniel Pittman <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Daniel,

> Please find attached a patch that resolves the bracketed paste issues
> nicely for me.

Thanks!

> It does so by setting two environment variables when
> initially establishing the remote shell: `EMACS=t`, which bash
> interprets to disable line editing, and `TERM=dumb`, which is a better
> match than the default interactive terminal type I get.

Well, TERM=dumb setting is not needed. It is already set, inherited from
the outer environment. I've just cross-checked this.

The EMACS=t setting is much more problematic. It has been thrown away
from Emacs years ago, and it was expected that bash 4.4 honors the
replacement INSIDE_EMACS. Furthermore, it was reported that EMACS=t
settings have damaged other packages. See Emacs bug#20484 for a related
discussion.

It doesn't seem to be applicable for Tramp. So I'm kind of undecided how
to continue ...

Best regards, Michael.