Subject: bug#28139: 25.2; TRAMP vs bash 4.4 / readline 7.0 "bracketed paste" mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 17:45:53 +0200

Daniel Pittman <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Daniel,

> So, it's not possible to work around this issue without injecting
> additional code into the shell setup process, using `/bin/sh -
> -noediting`, or using an interactive shell and adding that to the .
> profile or equivalent.
>
> note: --noediting has been present since bash 2.0 according to their
> changelog, so it may be reasonable to add by default to the
> non-interactive shell invocations.
>
> Ultimately, though, perhaps adding the ability to run additional
> commands during the interactive shell setup process and/or consuming
> any CSI sequences prior to matching, would be a more future-proof
> solution to this.

Well, we have `tramp-sh-extra-args' for ages. But this doesn't work
usually, because I don't know a bullet-proof way to detect a bash shell
prior invocation, unless "*bash" is called.

Let me contemplate about. With Emacs 26 / Tramp 2.3, we have
connection-local variables. Maybe we could use it for your case.

Best regards, Michael.