Subject: bug#28110: 25.2; crashes when opening a file with Kannada script

From: handa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 08:00:19 +0900

Hi, sorry for the late response.

> 1. Removed the current libotf and libm17n-flt libraries, installed the
> versions
> libm17n-flt                                    1.6.4-2ubuntu1
> libotf0:amd64                                  0.9.13-3
> Configured and compiled emacs.  This crashes as well.

Here I have the latest version of those libraries:

$ pkg-config --modversion m17n-flt
1.7.1
$ pkg-config --modversion libotf
0.9.15

and has no problem with rendering your file kannada.txt with the font
"Noto Sans Kannada.ttf".

> 2. If I set the default font to Noto-Kannada and open the file, It has no
> issues but crashes as soon as I start adding English words.

> 3. The crash occurs only when a certain combination of Kannada chars are
> present along with English characters/Words.

Then please give me a test file containing that combination.  And,
please check if your emacs is surely using "Noto Sans Kannada" by typing
C-u C-x = while putting cursor on a kannda character of HELLO file.

And, if possible, please try the latest version of libotf and m17n-lib
by getting the source from repositories as below;

$ cvs -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/sources/m17n co libotf
$ git clone https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/git/m17n/m17n-lib.git
$ git clone https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/git/m17n/m17n-db.git

and installing them in this order: libotf, m17n-lib, m17n-db

---
K. Handa
[email-masked]