Subject: [bug#28093] [PATCH] gnu: cgit: Don't build cgit's special 'git:src' input.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 15:21:36 -0400

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 07:35:31AM +0100, Christopher Baines wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 23:31:37 -0400
> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > * gnu/packages/version-control.scm (cgit)[inputs]: Replace the
> > [email-masked] package with an origin reference of the source code.
> > ([email-masked]): Remove variable.
> 
> It would be useful if outside of the changelog, but in the commit
> message, you could put why you are making the change. As far as I can
> tell, this won't change the cgit package, so I'm guessing the intent is
> to neaten up the code?

Recently we started running the test suite of the "main" git package.

That caused the build of this package to fail, which also made cgit
fail to build, and that was annoying.

But, we don't even need to build this source code as a package, since it
gets built within the cgit build process, and we don't run the tests
there.

So, I figured we might as well not provide this as a package at all,
since it's really just intended to provide source code to cgit.

Does that sound reasonable?

If so, I'll summarize this in the commit message.