Subject: bug#28091: 11.90.0; [PATCH] Fontification of ``this", and interaction with 'composition

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 23:15:04 +0200

Ilya Zakharevich <[email-masked]> writes:

> a) The highlighting of ``this" is wrong (does not stop at the
>    finishing quote).

Hi Ilya,

thanks for looking into this and the patch.  For the first part, I have
tendencies to keep the current state as " will give you different
results depending on font encoding, example:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[OT1,T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}

\begin{document}

The highlighting of ``this" is wrong \\
The highlighting of ``this'' is wrong

and

\fontencoding{OT1}\selectfont
The highlighting of ``this" is wrong \\
The highlighting of ``this'' is wrong

\end{document}
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Run this file with pdflatex: With T1 encoding, " in .tex file gives " in
your output file.  '' results in ”.  So to be on the safe side, I think
'' is the way to go for Right Double Quotation Mark.

> b) Handling of super/subscripts is not compatible with 'composition;
>    e.g., with
>          latex-pretty-symbols.el
>    or https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22937393/emacs-lisp-prettify-symbols-mode-for-latex?rq=1
>
> The patch is appended.

I don't use this feature so I can't tell.  Others?

Best, Arash