Subject: bug#2807: Subject: 23.0.90; etags can't access .el.gz files

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 16:38:01 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> As I said it "knows how to decompress the main ones, yes".

If you remove all the duplicates, it boils down to this list:

       (".Z"         . "uncompress")
       (".Y"         . "unyabba")
       (".gz"        . "gunzip")
       (".z"         . "gunzip")
       (".bz2"       . ("bzip2" "-dc"))
       (".xz"        . "unxz")

The only one that jka-compr doesn't handle is "unyabba", which I've
never heard of.  Neither has Debian, apparently...

[larsi@stories /tmp]$ apt-cache search yabba

> It doesn't do all of them because ... I don't know why.  My guess is
> that there's a subtle risk of jka-compr applying when it shouldn't, so
> we prefer to only use it when we're pretty sure the name implies it is
> a compressed file.

My guess is that this is just stuff that somebody forgot to remove once
jka-compr was written.  :-)

>> So I would suggest writing some code in jka-compr that would allow
>> jka-compr to look for compressed files, too (given a regexp), and then
>> etags could use that, and info.el could be converted (after Emacs 24.1)
>> to use that, too.
>
> That sounds right.

Ok, I'll take a whack at adding the "search for compressed files"
functionality to jka-compr, and fixing etags.el by using that.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/