Subject: Re: [bug#28055] [WIP] Add knot tests

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 10:27:00 +0200

Howdy,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> This patch aims at adding a system test for knot. I've implemented the
>> DNS protocol to be able to communicate with the server and try some
>> queries. Unfortunately, although the server seems to be launched (the
>> first test passes), it then refuses to answer. Do you see anything
>> wrong, or anything I could do to understand why it doesn't pass?
>
> It looks like overkill to implement DNS queries with bytevectors from
> the ground up.  Is there not an easier way to make a DNS test?

It’s a bit overkill indeed… but I like it.  :-)

Julien: could you move the DNS code to a new module, say (guix dns), and
then add the Knot test?

(So first patch adds (guix dns), second patch adds the test.)

In passing, for (guix dns) it would be nice if you could add docstrings
as you see fit, and attempt to use full words in identifiers (“address”
rather than “addr”, “resolve” rather than “resolv”, etc.¹).

This looks really nice, thanks for working on it!

Ludo’.

¹ https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Formatting-Code.html