Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: Add openfoam

From: Paul Garlick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 12:32:05 +0100

Hi Ludo,

> Does it address the use case you have in mind?

Yes, I think that both the multiple-profile solution and the 'ad-hoc'
environment will work for Guix/OpenFOAM.  

The traditional method of installing multiple OpenFOAM versions is to
install to a common $FOAM_INST_DIR directory.  However, as you point
out, this is not strictly necessary and does not provide any advantage
in the Guix system.

So, continuing the 'middle road' line of thought, the 'install-dir'
variable would be modified to add a '/lib' element:

-                                %output "/OpenFOAM-" ,version)))
+                                %output "/OpenFOAM-" ,version
"/lib")))

You suggest adding a link between bin and lib/OpenFOAM-
4.1/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/bin.  What would be the best way to
add this to the package definition?  

There could also be a link between lib and lib/OpenFOAM-
4.1/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib.

The links would allow the runpaths to be validated.  So; 

-       #:validate-runpath? #f ; '#:elf-directories' is not recognised
here

The FOAM_INST_DIR variable would need to be updated:

-            (files '(".")))))
 +          (files '("./lib")))))

WDYT?

Paul.