Subject: Re: [bug#28045] [PATCH] gnu: Add openfoam

From: Eric Bavier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 15:04:28 -0500

Scotch's INTSIZE64 is a bit of a misnomer, as it simply tells scotch to use the 'long' type rather than 'int'.  IIRC, Ludovic's rational was that this would be 32 bits or 64 bit integers depending on the platform.  

I think this is a reasonable default, but, like you point out, it does mean we need to keep thing consistent across packages.  For metis this might mean a build phase that patches metis.h's IDXTYPEWIDTH macro appropriately for the target system.  That should be a separate patch.

Thanks for working on it,
`~Eric

On August 16, 2017 12:52:26 PM CDT, Paul Garlick <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Hello Guix,
>Thank you Marius and Eric for your reviews and comments.
>I have been working through the changes and updating the patch.
> However, in the process of rebasing I have noticed a change in Guix
>that impacts on the OpenFOAM definition.  Specifically, a recent commit
>(26599d6) has changed the definition of the scotch package so that it
>now uses 64bit integers.  In a nutshell, this causes a build failure in
>OpenFOAM.
>In OpenFOAM, there is a variable to specify the size of the integer
>values (32bit or 64bit).  This single variable is used by both metis
>and scotch, meaning that they both have to use 32bit integers or both
>use 64bit integers.  At present, Guix offers a 64bit scotch and a 32bit
>metis.
>A straightforward solution would be to add the extra packages, a 32bit
>scotch and/or a 64bit metis.  For scotch, that would be the same
>definition, except for the 'INTSIZE64' line.  For metis, that would
>involve an edit of 'metis.h', setting IDXTYPEWIDTH and REALTYPEWIDTH to
>64.
>Would you prefer this to be the subject of a separate patch, or
>included in the OpenFOAM patch?  There is also a question about how to
>name the packages; scotch and scotch32, for example, or scotch and
>scotch-64int etc.
>Best regards,
>Paul
>On Mon, 2017-08-14 at 21:49 -0500, Eric Bavier wrote:
>> Hello Paul,
>> 
>> Thank you for the patch!
>> 
>> 

-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.