Subject: Re: [bug#28045] [PATCH] gnu: Add openfoam

From: Paul Garlick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 18:52:26 +0100

Hello Guix,
Thank you Marius and Eric for your reviews and comments.
I have been working through the changes and updating the patch.
 However, in the process of rebasing I have noticed a change in Guix
that impacts on the OpenFOAM definition.  Specifically, a recent commit
(26599d6) has changed the definition of the scotch package so that it
now uses 64bit integers.  In a nutshell, this causes a build failure in
OpenFOAM.
In OpenFOAM, there is a variable to specify the size of the integer
values (32bit or 64bit).  This single variable is used by both metis
and scotch, meaning that they both have to use 32bit integers or both
use 64bit integers.  At present, Guix offers a 64bit scotch and a 32bit
metis.
A straightforward solution would be to add the extra packages, a 32bit
scotch and/or a 64bit metis.  For scotch, that would be the same
definition, except for the 'INTSIZE64' line.  For metis, that would
involve an edit of 'metis.h', setting IDXTYPEWIDTH and REALTYPEWIDTH to
64.
Would you prefer this to be the subject of a separate patch, or
included in the OpenFOAM patch?  There is also a question about how to
name the packages; scotch and scotch32, for example, or scotch and
scotch-64int etc.
Best regards,
Paul
On Mon, 2017-08-14 at 21:49 -0500, Eric Bavier wrote:
> Hello Paul,
> Thank you for the patch!