Subject: bug#28036: less duplicate error messages and adding '-F' to recover lost behaviors...?

From: L A Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 05:11:02 -0700

Two related things...

Tried to copy a dir from my linux Music folder to my portable player.
Linux uses XFS.  Player uses VFAT.

Wanted to copy all available & supported meta info from source to dir,

cp -af
>  cp -a Valkyrja /l/
cp: preserving permissions for ‘/l/Valkyrja/folder.jpg’: Not supported
cp: preserving permissions for ‘/l/Valkyrja/01 Valkyrja(ヴァルキリア). 
flac’: Not supported
cp: preserving permissions for ‘/l/Valkyrja/02 妖精帝國.flac’: Not supported
cp: preserving permissions for ‘/l/Valkyrja/Scans/mo07.jpg’: Not supported
cp: preserving permissions for ‘/l/Valkyrja/Scans/mo05.jpg’: Not supported
cp: preserving permissions for ‘/l/Valkyrja/Scans/mo06.jpg’: Not supported
cp: preserving permissions for ‘/l/Valkyrja/Scans/mo01.jpg’: Not supported
...

1) If Target file system doesn't support preserving permissions,
is it really necessary to display the problem with the target
filesystem with each item copied?

2) It used to be that 'f' silenced such errors, but posix redefined
the switch's behavior to no longer do that.  So... how about
adding the behavior(s) back with a 'F' switch, to attempt to a) force
the copy, b) silence errors, and perhaps, even, c) ignore errors and
continue running as though the errors didn't occur?

Thanks...
linda