Subject: bug#28025: closed (Re: bug#28025: Daemon/server passes string incorrectly to/from Systemd)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 14:15:02 +0000

Your bug report

#28025: Daemon/server passes string incorrectly to/from Systemd

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
28025: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28025
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#28025: Daemon/server passes string incorrectly to/from Systemd
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Arthur Miller <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 17:13:37 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Arthur Miller <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 16:06:48 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Yepp tilde in DICPATH was the problem! No bug in Emacs! :-)
> 
> I am so used to bash, so I always forgett it's bash that does the expansion, and it fails 
> in cases like this.
> 
> Thank you all for the help!

Thanks, I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: Daemon/server passes string incorrectly to/from Systemd
From: Arthur Miller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:07:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I start Emacs in daemon mode with Systemd and connect with
emacsclient, I get nil string when I run spellcheck with ispell.
'ispell-word' stack trace from debugger:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  string-match("," nil 0)
  split-string(nil "," t)
  ispell-parse-hunspell-affix-file(nil)
  ispell-find-hunspell-dictionaries()
  ispell-set-spellchecker-params()
  ispell-word(nil nil nil t)
  funcall-interactively(ispell-word nil nil nil t)
  call-interactively(ispell-word nil nil)
  command-execute(ispell-word)

When I start emacs in daemon mode from bash command line
directly and connect with emacsclient the spellcheck
works correctly.

I have checked that all paths are setup correctly. Emacs finds
dictionaries (DICPATH setts correctly in systemd service file),
and it also finds spellchecking program (/usr/bin/hunspell).

I believe it might be something with passing strings to and from
d-bus, but I don't have experience with d-bus at all so I really
don't know. It might as well be something completely else,
including my configuration :-).

/arthur

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.17)
 of 2017-08-03 built on pascal
Repository revision: f465efe412607c6b931e3592e96200f2ff3b8d74
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11903000
Recent messages:
Cleaning up the recentf list...
File /home/arthur/test.txt removed from the recentf list
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (1 removed)
When done with a buffer, type C-x # [2 times]
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0
split-string: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
"~/.emacs.d/hunspell"
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
Making completion list... [3 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --with-mailutils --without-pop'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 MODULES LIBSYSTEMD

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: sv_SE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  electric-pair-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-ede-mode: t
  global-fci-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  dumb-jump-mode: t
  ranger-override-dired-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  window-number-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  fci-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  cl-old-struct-compat-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/company/company-cmake hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/company-cmake/company-cmake
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/lisp/fill-column-indicator hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/fill-column-indicator/fill-column-indicator
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/helm/helm hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/helm-core/helm
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/helm/helm-multi-match hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/helm-core/helm-multi-match
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/helm/helm-source hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/helm-core/helm-source
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/helm/helm-lib hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/helm-core/helm-lib
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/load-relative/el-get-install hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/loc-changes/el-get-install
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/load-relative/el-get-install hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/realgud/el-get-install
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/realgud/realgud hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/xxrealgud/realgud
/usr/local/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/simple hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/emacs-ctable/samples/simple
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/loc-changes/test/test-basic hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/test-simple/test/test-basic
/usr/local/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/env hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/emacs-window-manager/features/support/env
/usr/local/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/env hides
/home/arthur/.emacs.d/plugins/multiple-cursors/features/support/env

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail server flymake company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-capf company-cmake company-xcode
company-clang company-semantic company-eclim company-template
company-css company-nxml company-bbdb disp-table elec-pair paren
ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/detect ede/base ede/auto ede/source
eieio-speedbar eieio-custom cap-words superword subword lively
column-marker image-dired+ extras member-functions dired-rainbow
dired-hacks-utils autoinsert simple-httpd htmlize dumb-jump f dash s
ranger diminish autorevert filenotify hl-line ztree ztree-diff
ztree-diff-model ztree-dir ztree-view ztree-util rainbow-delimiters
vline all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons memoize
neotree dired-xtra direx dired+ image-file bookmark+ bookmark+-key
bookmark+-1 font-lock+ gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message subr-x puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
bookmark+-bmu bookmark+-lit bookmark+-mac winner multiple-cursors
mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-separate-operations
rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-pop mc-mark-more mc-cycle-cursors
mc-edit-lines multiple-cursors-core rect ediff-merg ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff saveplace
recentf tree-widget wid-edit realgud realgud-recursive-autoloads
realgud-zshdb realgud:zshdb-track-mode realgud:zshdb-core
realgud:zshdb-init realgud-trepan3k realgud:trepan3k-track-mode
realgud:trepan3k-core realgud:trepan3k-init realgud-trepan2
realgud:trepan2-track-mode realgud:trepan2-core realgud:trepan2-init
realgud-trepanpl realgud:trepanpl-track-mode realgud:trepanpl-core
realgud:trepanpl-init realgud-trepanjs realgud:trepanjs-track-mode
realgud:trepanjs-core realgud:trepanjs-init realgud-trepan
realgud:trepan-track-mode realgud:trepan-core realgud:trepan-init
realgud-remake realgud:remake-track-mode realgud:remake-core
realgud:remake-init realgud-rdebug realgud-rdebug-track-mode
realgud-rdebug-core realgud-rdebug-init realgud-perldb
realgud:perldb-track-mode realgud:perldb-core realgud:perldb-init
realgud-lang-perl realgud-pdb realgud:pdb-track-mode realgud:pdb-core
realgud:pdb-init realgud-nodejs realgud:nodejs-track-mode
realgud:nodejs-core realgud:nodejs-init realgud-lang-js realgud-kshdb
realgud:kshdb-track-mode realgud:kshdb-core realgud:kshdb-init
realgud-jdb realgud:jdb-track-mode realgud-lang-ruby realgud:jdb-core
realgud:jdb-init gud realgud-ipdb realgud:ipdb-track-mode
realgud:ipdb-core realgud:ipdb-init realgud-lang-python realgud-gub
realgud:gub-track-mode realgud:gub-core realgud:gub-init realgud-gdb
realgud:gdb-track-mode realgud:gdb-init realgud:gdb-core realgud-bashdb
realgud:bashdb-track-mode realgud:bashdb-core realgud:bashdb-init
realgud-lang-posix-shell realgud:run realgud-track-mode
realgud-backtrace-mode realgud-track realgud-shortkey realgud-menu
realgud-eval realgud-cmds realgud-send realgud-window realgud-utils
realgud-init realgud-file esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext
esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-util esh-mode
realgud-core realgud-reset realgud-buffer-helper
realgud-buffer-backtrace realgud-buffer-command realgud-buffer-info
realgud-regexp realgud-lochist org-element avl-tree
the-org-mode-expansions org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs realgud-bp realgud-bp-image-data realgud-loc
realgud-buffer-source realgud-key realgud-custom key realgud-follow
realgud-lang realgud-fringe realgud-helper test-simple loc-changes
load-relative company pcase avy window-number thing-edit sr-speedbar
semantic/db-mode semantic/db eieio-base semantic/idle semantic/ctxt
semantic/sb speedbar sb-image dframe semantic/sort semantic/format
ezimage semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func
cedet indent-guide helm-gtags pulse which-func ggtags ewoc
helm-descbinds helm-mode helm-files rx image-dired image-mode tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete
parse-time format-spec dired-x dired-aux ffap helm-buffers helm-elscreen
helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info info bookmark pp
helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp helm-external helm-net browse-url xml
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source password-cache url-vars
mailcap helm-utils compile comint ansi-color helm-help helm-types helm
helm-source eieio-compat helm-multi-match helm-lib dired dired-loaddefs
helm-config helm-autoloads helm-easymenu async-bytecomp
auto-complete-clang auto-complete-config auto-complete popup
fill-column-indicator js2-mode-expansions js2-mode etags xref project
eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs ring js-mode-expansions js time-date
html-mode-expansions sgml-mode dom json map seq byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cc-mode-expansions cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs imenu yasnippet
expand-region text-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions thingatpt
expand-region-core expand-region-custom undo-tree derived cl-extra
help-mode easymenu cl-seq edmacro kmacro diff smart-mode-line advice
rich-minority bind-key cl-macs easy-mmode async
sanityinc-solarized-dark-theme color-theme-sanityinc-solarized cl gv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib ispell mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 761586 91350)
 (symbols 48 60661 1)
 (miscs 40 155 215)
 (strings 32 155587 11751)
 (string-bytes 1 5039842)
 (vectors 16 87947)
 (vector-slots 8 1405002 25141)
 (floats 8 583 560)
 (intervals 56 630 0)
 (buffers 992 15))