Subject: Re: [bug#28021] [PATCH] gnu: Fix memcached service startup.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 22:26:10 +0100

On Tue,  8 Aug 2017 21:48:39 +0100
Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Memcached changes to the memcached user from root before writing the
> PID file. This means that it must be able to write the PID file as
> the memcached user.
> 
> To make this work, create the /var/run/memcached directory when the
> service starts, make it owned by memcached, and change memcached to
> write the PID file to /var/run/memcached/pid.
> 
> This wasn't picked up by the system test as the "service running"
> part was too permissive, and only failed on an error. Instead, test
> the response from calling start-service and check that the PID is a
> number.
> 
> * gnu/services/databases.scm (memcached-activation): New variable.
>   (memcached-shepherd-service): Change PID file location.
>   (memcached-service-type): Extend the activation-service-type.
> * gnu/tests/databases.scm (run-memcached-test)[test]: Change the
> "service running" test to check the response from the shepherd.

This was reviewed by lfam and rekado on IRC, and I've now pushed :)