Subject: [bug#28020] [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-gitpatch.

From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 12:18:39 +0530

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice writes:

>> Also, having a staging branch to which all commits are made would help
>> keep the master branch clean, and free of these mishaps. But, I guess
>> this issue has been raised before, and the creation of such a staging
>> branch has been postponed.
>
> Interesting. Do you have a link? We do have a ‘staging’ branch, but it
> serves a different purpose (basically, ‘core-updates’, lite).

I was referring to this thread discussing the stability of master. It's
not about any staging branch like I proposed, but there are some
similarities.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-07/msg00021.html

> Since the commit message is already reviewed on the mailing list, such a
> branch would only catch the — one hopes — very rare last-minute foul-up
> by the committer themselves.
>
> ‘Someone’ would have to keep track of, review, and merge it. ‘People’
> would then start following that branch instead of master (Why let a typo
> keep me from the shiny?), making rebasing just as painful.

Agreed.

> I'm less opposed to an optional hook, but fear that it will discourage
> committers from making a habit of checking all their commits before that
> last and final push. Which they should definitely be doing.

Despite these concerns, I think it is still worth automating some commit
checks. Given long enough time, even the most careful person is likely
to mess up somewhere.

> (That's not a dig at you or anyone personally — you're talking to the
> reason for the /current/ pre-push hook, after all :-)

No issues! :-)