Subject: Re: bug#28020: [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-gitpatch.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 02:25:52 +0200

Arun,

Arun Isaac wrote on 10/08/17 at 19:31:
> Also, having a staging branch to which all commits are made would help
> keep the master branch clean, and free of these mishaps. But, I guess
> this issue has been raised before, and the creation of such a staging
> branch has been postponed.

Interesting. Do you have a link? We do have a ‘staging’ branch, but it
serves a different purpose (basically, ‘core-updates’, lite).

Since the commit message is already reviewed on the mailing list, such a
branch would only catch the — one hopes — very rare last-minute foul-up
by the committer themselves.

‘Someone’ would have to keep track of, review, and merge it. ‘People’
would then start following that branch instead of master (Why let a typo
keep me from the shiny?), making rebasing just as painful.

I'm less opposed to an optional hook, but fear that it will discourage
committers from making a habit of checking all their commits before that
last and final push. Which they should definitely be doing.

(That's not a dig at you or anyone personally — you're talking to the
reason for the /current/ pre-push hook, after all :-)

Kind regards,

T G-R