Subject: [bug#28004] [PATCH] gnu: Add ungoogled-chromium.

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 19:56:41 +0100

Hi guix-devel!

this is my humble contribution to this discussion...
(I'm not a Guix maintainer)

first and foremost, IMHO guix-devel is not the place to discuss GNU FSDG
criteria; I'm going to subscribe [email-masked] to send
my comments - and I _have_ some - on the FSDG compliance process

if you are interested please follow this thread:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2019-02/threads.html#00020
:-D

bill-auger <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> about a year ago, the FSDG review process and criteria for endorsement
> of new distros was updated the new FSDG criteria checklist for
> community review that was adopted includes the following essential
> criteria:
>
>   "Programs commonly known to have freedom issues are liberated or
>   excluded"
>
> that criteria is a link to the "software that does not respect the
> FSDG" wiki page,

for reference, this page:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Template:FSDG_Checklist

> which includes an entry for 'chromium-browser' (the
> debian package name) with the liberation procedure being specified as:
>
>   "Remove program/package Use GNU IceCat, or equivalent"

[...]

> it was also agreed upon at that time, that the FSDG criteria should be
> applicable to all currently endorsed distros in perpetuity, so ...

thank you for the clarification, Bill: you explained us the entire
FSDG_Checklist is *mandatory* for a distro to be GNU FSDG compliant; so
there's **no discussion** here

if Guix System Distribution wants to remain GNU FSDG compliant - as most
if not all Guix contributors would like, I suppose - ungoogled-chromium
should still not be included in Guix System Distribution

so, regarding this bug #28004 the natural resolution should be to
*postpone* the inclusion of this package with a statement like this one:

  "ungoogled-chromium cannot be included in Guix System Distribution since
  it is listed - as 'chromium-browser' - on the page
  <List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#chromium-browser>
  that is an integral part of the GNU FSDG Guidelines as extended by the
  FSDG_Checklist via https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Incoming_distros#Endorsement_Process"

Happy hacking! :-)
Giovanni

[1] https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.en.html

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures