Subject: [bug#28004] [GNU-linux-libre] [PATCH] gnu: Add ungoogled-chromium.

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 22:04:59 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi bill-auger,
>
> bill-auger <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> re: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-02/msg00009.html
>>
>> i would like to remind readers of the guix-devel list that it was
>> discussed some months ago, why no FSDG distros currently distribute
>> chromium[1] - it appeared at that time, that most people in that
>> discussion were in agreement that chromium should not be included in
>> guix; and marius was instead hosting it in a private repo, as not to
>> taint the main guix repos with dubious software - has there been a
>> notable break-through since then?
>
> It’s not entirely clear to me what the problems are, to be honest.
> Marius listed specific issues that were addressed by the patches; others
> then pointed out at additional issues that ungoogled-chromium fixes,
> which Marius took into account; what’s left now?

Indeed, the only real breakthrough is that we now have a script to
create an Ungooglified source tarball with all unnecessary third_party
components removed.  The compressed tarball is smaller than that of
IceCat and takes up around 2.1 GiB uncompressed, roughly 1GiB of which
is third_party stuff.

That leaves "just" over 1GiB of source code to audit (assuming my
third_party audit is correct).  I haven't been able to find any
proprietary parts in first party code, and am convinced that the
remaining third_party components are free, hence this patch.

I am of course happy to help other FSDG distributions liberate their
Chromium too.