Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: Add ungoogled-chromium.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 23:34:45 +0100

Hi bill-auger,

bill-auger <[email-masked]> skribis:

> re: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-02/msg00009.html
>
> i would like to remind readers of the guix-devel list that it was
> discussed some months ago, why no FSDG distros currently distribute
> chromium[1] - it appeared at that time, that most people in that
> discussion were in agreement that chromium should not be included in
> guix; and marius was instead hosting it in a private repo, as not to
> taint the main guix repos with dubious software - has there been a
> notable break-through since then?

It’s not entirely clear to me what the problems are, to be honest.
Marius listed specific issues that were addressed by the patches; others
then pointed out at additional issues that ungoogled-chromium fixes,
which Marius took into account; what’s left now?

I understand you’re skeptical about Chromium, but we cannot base
decisions based on vague skepticism.  If you know of issues that are
still unaddressed, please do list them.

I’d also like to stress that, if Chromium is eventually included in
Guix, we are committed to fixing it or removing it should someone later
discover that it does not comply with the FSDG (that’s the “Commitment
to Correct Mistakes” section of FSDG.)

> i would like to consider all FSDG distros as being part of a larger
> federation, sharing the same primary goals;

As you know, several of us have occasionally asked for advice on the
gnu-linux-libre list regarding concrete issues that we encountered (a
recent example was Inferno, which we ended up not adding to the distro
due to unresolved issues.)

I believe Marius and others here made a real effort in understanding and
addressing the ways in which Chromium would not comply with the FSDG.
If you’re aware of issues that are unaddressed, please share!

Thank you,
Ludo’.