Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: Add ungoogled-chromium.

From: bill-auger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 09:47:54 -0500

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 14:46:38 +0100 Leo wrote:
> If you have a concrete example of a Chromium component that is not
> free software please list it in a reply-all this email.

this is not a discussion list i will apologize in advance for this
length reply - i did not CC this list

if you demand evidence you need look no further than the upstream
itself - the upstream developers can not verify for themselves that
their program is freely licensed; as evidenced by the 10 year old bug
report on this issue that is still open

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=28291

the default copy permissions for every copyrighted work is "none" - in
order for that work be be set free, the author must very explicitly
label it as such, and try their very best to ensure that their formal
statement of permission follows along with any copies of it - because if
that permission is missing, or difficult to locate or to comprehend,
there is no reason to assume the work is freely distributable

i would hope that i would not need to explain that to a member of
GNU

the burden of proof is not upon the one who claims that the default
case applies, it is upon the one who claims that some special case
applies

and anyway - let me please repeat this one more time - i have no desire
to defend nor condemn this particular program - this has been
discussed ad nauseam for many years - all that i intend today is to
entice the guix developers to communicate with the other FSDG distros
and the FSF to reach a uniform consensus on the matter - rather than to
see guix choose to distribute it, while all other FSDG distros are in
agreement not to distribute it