Subject: [bug#28004] Chromium 66 + status update

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 21:30:23 +0200

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> writes:

> Marius!
>
> On 2018-04-24 20:08, Marius Bakke wrote:
>> The other remaining issue is that some data is sent to Google whenever
>> you start the browser for the first time.
>
> Sounds great! What data, exactly?

I haven't MITM'd it to check, unfortunately.  Help wanted!

The reason I don't think it's a blocking issue, is because Chromium is
a massive project and I cannot guarantee that it will never "call
home".  So while I am intent on fixing the issue, especially since it's
easy to test (chromium --user-data-dir=/tmp/foo), it's just one of many
"call home" scenarios/antifeatures.  And if you enable extensions or log
in all bets are off.  Even Inox, which goes great lengths to de-google
it, admits that they can't guarantee privacy.

Other scenarios include checking for IPv6 availability, testing for
captive portal, etc.  And I think it even falls back to Google DNS if
the system resolver is unresponsive.  :-(