Subject: [bug#28004] Chromium

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 19:18:39 +0100

Mike Gerwitz <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 20:01:34 +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
>> If there are no objections, expect to see this in 'master' in 1-2 weeks.
>
> I want to express gratitude for your hard work on this---given that
> IceCat does not contain many of the FF devtool updates, Chromium is very
> desirable for web development.  It's also needed for certain Node.js
> tools, like node-inspector.
>
> So, thank you!

Thank *you* for the kind words! :-)

Here is the latest iteration of this patch.  New in this version:

* Chromium 64 (duh).
* The 'delete-bundled-software' phase has been moved to a snippet,
  shaving ~100MiB (~22%) off the compressed tarball size (and
  drastically reduces (de)compression time).
* The New Tab page does not show any thumbnails for new profiles.

I've also added more comments about the patches and other flags.

Now, when launching the browser for the first time, it *still* connects
to Google services.  After a while it also does a lookup for AdWords...
However subsequent launches are "silent" as long as the Web Store is
disabled and "--disable-background-networking" is passed, like the
wrapper script does.

Incidentally, now that IceCat supports WebRTC (and somehow plugged the
IP address leak[0]!), I no longer *need* this package.  However, having
multiple high quality browsers at hand is a huge advantage IMO, so I'd
still like to have it in Guix.

What do y'all think?  Feedback on the snippet and description very
welcome.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebRTC#Concerns