Subject: [bug#28004] Chromium

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:41:15 -0800

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 08:22:32PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Marius Bakke wrote on 16/01/18 at 20:01:
> >> Not sure what to put in the description.  Can I hire Tobias for this? :P
> >
> > You probably don't want me writing what I think of Chromium.
> 
> LOL, fair enough.
> 
> I tend to assume zero-knowledge when writing descriptions and have been
> playing on spins of "Chromium is a browser designed to spy on the user",
> but carrying software with that description does not reflect very well
> on us...besides, I've gone great lengths to remove those antifeatures.
> 
> I'd like to make it very clear that users concerned about privacy should
> prefer GNU IceCat though...  Suggestions welcome. :-)

The Synopses and Descriptions section of the manual says "Please avoid
marketing phrases" and "try to be factual, mentioning use cases and
features". I think we should also avoid "anti-marketing" language.

Why not keep it simple and say something like this:

"Chromium is a graphical web browser.  This package omits the FOO, BAR,
and BAZ features in order to help protect the user's privacy."

The IceCat description is similarly terse.