Subject: bug#28003: 26.0.50; Auto fill broken in Message mode

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2017 17:41:49 +0200

On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 16:54:27 +0200 Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 15:04:56 +0200 Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> This prompted me to look closer at Katsumi Yamaoka's patch above, and it
>> turns out that message-do-auto-fill is not being called, although it is
>> the value of normal-auto-fill-function in the Message mode buffer I'm
>> typing in right now; instead, the default value do-auto-fill is called.
>> When you try my recipe is message-do-auto-fill being used?  That may
>> explain why you can't reproduce the problem.  I have no idea why
>> message-do-auto-fill isn't being called here...
>
> It's not being called because internal-auto-fill calls do-auto-fill
> instead of funcalling auto-fill-function.  But changing it to do the
> latter makes no difference, since message-do-auto-fill also calls
> do-auto-fill, unless point is on a message header.  (So it's still a
> mystery to me why you can't reproduce the problem...)

Well, I'm a bit slow today, but making internal-auto-fill funcall
auto-fill-function together with Yamaoka-san's patch does restore
auto-filling to non-comment lines in Message mode; though I can't judge
whether that's the right fix.

Steve Berman