Subject: Re: bug#28002: automake prog_error when appending to configure.ac a colon-separated list of input files

From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 20:45:04 +0200

Am 08.08.2017 um 08:03 schrieb Ghulam, Sean (Nokia - FI/Espoo):

 > Prior to writing the report, I tried it with:
 > AC_CONFIG_FILES(
 > [Makefile]
 > [src/Makefile:append/append.mk]
 > )

On closer examination, the problem is that you've been reading only 
autoconf documenation to find out how to prepare input used by both 
autoconf and automake.  The correct syntax is actually in the automake 
manual:

AC_CONFIG_FILES(
  [Makefile]
  [src/Makefile:src/Makefile.in:append/append.mk]
)

The trick being that for automake to grok multi-part input, you have to 
name not just the final output file, but also the intermediate (the one 
automake is to build from src/Makefile.am).