Subject: 26.0.50; TRAMP on OSX to Windows: smbclient not available

From: James Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2017 12:30:39 -0700

This might be a duplicate bug report:

I'm trying to use TRAMP from OSX and it looks like smbclient is not available
anymore.

I tried using 'smbutil' instead and it doesn't seem to be a one to one match.

(setq tramp-smb-program "smbutil")

Here are just some errors,

/usr/bin/smbutil: illegal option -- g
smbutil: invalid option ?

usage: smbutil [-hv] subcommand [args]
where subcommands are:
 help		display help on specified subcommand
 lookup 	resolve NetBIOS name to IP address
 status 	resolve IP address or DNS name to NetBIOS names
 view		list resources on specified host
 dfs		list DFS referrals
 identity	identity of the user as known by the specified host
 statshares	list the attributes of mounted share(s)

Process *tramp/smb name@host* exited abnormally with code 1

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 12, x86_64-apple-darwin16.5.0, NS appkit-1504.83 Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G29))
 of 2017-07-30 built on jamesretina.local
Repository revision: 13786d5e7d0aa0a37d7f81d1a1b82eddd3472796
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1504
Recent messages:
Loading package messsage...
Cannot load messsage
Loading package messsage...done
Configuring package notmuch...done
Mark set [2 times]
Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules'

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: notmuch-search

Minor modes in effect:
  notmuch-modeline-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  focus-autosave-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  company-quickhelp-mode: t
  company-quickhelp-local-mode: t
  eval-sexp-fu-flash-mode: t
  flycheck-pos-tip-mode: t
  shackle-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  global-evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-surround-mode: t
  global-evil-visualstar-mode: t
  evil-visualstar-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-hungry-delete-mode: t
  hungry-delete-mode: t
  ws-butler-global-mode: t
  ws-butler-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  cl-old-struct-compat-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail sort mail-extr mm-archive notmuch-jump
notmuch-modeline ezimage notmuch notmuch-message notmuch-hello
notmuch-tree notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua
notmuch-draft notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address notmuch-company
notmuch-parser notmuch-wash coolj notmuch-query goto-addr icalendar
diary-lib diary-loaddefs notmuch-tag crm notmuch-lib notmuch-compat
message puny rfc822 mml mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-view
mml-smime mml-sec epa derived epg smime dig mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 JJ-mail shell view woman man smex
ido counsel esh-util term disp-table ehelp bookmark pp tabify org-eldoc
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired dired-loaddefs
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org-capture org-notmuch org-element
avl-tree org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec misearch multi-isearch
server highlight-symbol focus-autosave-mode prodigy hl-line ansi-color f
pulse colir vc-git diff-mode time rainbow-delimiters evil-cleverparens
evil-cleverparens-text-objects evil-cleverparens-util paredit lispyville
lispy swiper ivy flx ivy-overlay ffap delsel iedit iedit-lib
multiple-cursors-core lispy-inline avy semantic/db eieio-base
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet evil-ediff ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff help-fns radix-tree
lispy-tags elisp-slime-nav eval-sexp-fu company-quickhelp warnings
highlight font-lock+ flycheck-pos-tip pos-tip flycheck json map
find-func shackle JJ-org JJ-extra-lang make-mode JJ-elisp edebug-x
edebug which-func imenu JJ-autocomplete elixir-yasnippets yasnippet
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags xref project
company-gtags company-files company-capf company-cmake company-xcode
company-clang company-semantic company-eclim company-template
company-css company-nxml company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-yasnippet company-bbdb company JJ-evil evil-mc
evil-mc-command-execute evil-mc-command-record evil-mc-cursor-make
evil-mc-region evil-mc-cursor-state evil-mc-undo evil-mc-vars
evil-mc-known-commands evil-mc-common evil-surround evil-visualstar evil
evil-integration-plus evil-maps evil-commands evil-jumps
evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex evil-macros
evil-repeat evil-states evil-core evil-common windmove rect
evil-digraphs evil-vars undo-tree diff JJ-project recentf tree-widget
wid-edit JJ-editing fold-dwim-org fold-dwim hideshow noutline outline
hungry-delete ws-butler smartparens-config smartparens-text smartparens
thingatpt JJ-misc paren whitespace JJ-platform exec-path-from-shell
ls-lisp JJ-defaults autorevert filenotify winner JJ-theme
solarized-light-theme solarized color theme-changer solar cal-dst
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs cl JJ-dependencies cl-extra help-mode
hydra ring lv async s dash JJ-funcs subr-x use-package diminish bind-key
easy-mmode finder-inf edmacro kmacro rx advice slime-autoloads info
package easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2650787 174877)
 (symbols 48 55292 1)
 (miscs 40 15029 1273)
 (strings 32 317582 27882)
 (string-bytes 1 9003228)
 (vectors 16 118440)
 (vector-slots 8 2584036 88215)
 (floats 8 850 702)
 (intervals 56 205188 7470)
 (buffers 976 42))