Subject: bug#27990: closed (Offloading is now working!)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 17:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#27990: Offloading repeatedly prints a message of the form "process ... acquired build slot '/var/guix/offload/.../0"

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
27990: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27990
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Offloading is now working!
From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 18:32:57 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I tried again, and after one small change, things are now working!

Firstly, I was getting messages like:

process 1011 acquired build slot '/var/guix/offload/capella.local/0'
;;; [2017/08/31 18:16:40.455763, 0] private-key-from-file: [GSSH ERROR]
The file does not exist or permission denied: "/root/.ssh/id_rsa"

This was coming up over and over again, maybe I was hitting the same
problem, but this GSSH ERROR is something that I haven't seen before.

I had a look at the Guix source, and noticed that the private key to
use is a function of the current user. But as this is the offloader
script, I'm pretty sure that relates to the user of the guix-daemon,
which in my case is root. In my case, I want to offload as my user, so
I set private-key explicitly in /etc/guix/machines.scm, and now it just
works!

Subject: Offloading repeatedly prints a message of the form "process ... acquired build slot '/var/guix/offload/.../0"
From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 20:07:03 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey,

I gave setting up offloading another go, I'm testing with 3 machines,
two running GuixSD, and one Debian. I've tried setting up offloading
from both GuixSD machines to the Debian machine, and from one GuixSD
machine to the other.

Running `guix offload test` works, and reports success. However, when
it actually comes to building something, guix repeatedly prints a
message like:

  "process ... acquired build slot '/var/guix/offload/.../0"

I've left it for a while, and nothing happened.

My usual approach at sticking more logging in to the code doesn't
really work, as it appears that it's not the offload script from the
Guix git repository that I have locally that is being used.

I'm happy to do some more investigation, but I haven't worked out how
to yet.