Subject: bug#27959: 26.0.50; File renaming fails on sshfs

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2017 23:38:14 +0200

/tv is mounted via sshfs.

(rename-file "/tv/a.foo" "/tv/b.foo")

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Renaming" "Invalid argument" "/tv/a.foo" "/tv/b.foo")
  rename-file("/tv/a.foo" "/tv/b.foo")
  eval((rename-file "/tv/a.foo" "/tv/b.foo") nil)
  eval-expression((rename-file "/tv/a.foo" "/tv/b.foo") nil nil 127)
  funcall-interactively(eval-expression (rename-file "/tv/a.foo" "/tv/b.foo") nil nil 127)
  call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-expression)

But if I say

larsi@amy:~$ mv /tv/a.foo /tv/b.foo

on the same machine, it works fine.  So ... where is the "Invalid
argument" coming from?

Renaming on non-sshfs file systems works fine in Emacs.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-08-02 built on amy
Repository revision: fe80d58ca4ead89e8887aa726482694888a8ef7f
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11903000
System Description:	Ubuntu 17.04