Subject: bug#27956: closed (Re: bug#27956: 26.0.50; Setting load-prefer-newer breaks Emacs startup)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2017 07:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#27956: 26.0.50; Setting load-prefer-newer breaks Emacs startup

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
27956: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27956
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#27956: 26.0.50; Setting load-prefer-newer breaks Emacs startup
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Fabrice Popineau <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2017 10:51:52 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Fabrice Popineau <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 09:46:11 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
>  `gzip' reduces the size of the named files using Lempel-Ziv coding
>  (LZ77). Whenever possible, each file is replaced by one with the
>  extension `.gz', while keeping the same ownership modes, access and
>  modification times.
> 
>  What version of gzip did you use?
> 
> Ok, you are right. There is a version 1.6 of gzip.exe distributed with TeXLive that has interfered here.
> It doesn't preserve timestamps when compressing files. This is definitely a problem, but not in emacs.
> 
> The 1.8 gzip.exe from MSYS2 does preserve timestamps.

Heh, I have MSYS Gzip 1.3.5 and GnuWin32 Gzip 1.2.4 here, and they
both preserve timestamps.  So I guess what you have is some botched
port of Gzip.

> Sorry for the noise.

No sweat.  Closing.

Subject: 26.0.50; Setting load-prefer-newer breaks Emacs startup
From: Fabrice Popineau <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 20:52:45 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

;; Eval:
(setq load-prefer-newer t)
;; and then for example:
(delete-selection-mode t)

results in an error and the following in the *Messages* buffer:

insert-file-contents: Recursive load:
"c:/MSys64/MingW64/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/jka-compr.el.gz",
"c:/MSys64/MingW64/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/debug.el.gz",
"c:/MSys64/MingW64/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/jka-compr.el.gz",
"c:/MSys64/MingW64/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/jka-compr.el.gz",
"c:/MSys64/MingW64/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/jka-compr.el.gz",
"c:/MSys64/MingW64/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/jka-compr.el.gz",
"c:/MSys64/MingW64/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/delsel.el.gz"

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2017-08-04 built on LOBSANG
Repository revision: 6127f5901726740dad461b7b08c0095a65c737d5
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.16251
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
about-emacs: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/MingW64 --with-jpeg --with-xpm --with-png
 --with-tiff --with-rsvg --with-xml2 --with-gnutls --with-imagemagick
 --without-dbus --enable-checking=no 'CFLAGS=-I/mingw64/include
 -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -g0 -mtune=corei7' CPPFLAGS=-I/mingw64/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/mingw64/lib'

Configured features:
JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils apropos help-fns radix-tree help-mode
easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 101172 9279)
 (symbols 56 20314 1)
 (miscs 48 54 140)
 (strings 32 30898 815)
 (string-bytes 1 803193)
 (vectors 16 14252)
 (vector-slots 8 485738 7358)
 (floats 8 56 88)
 (intervals 56 898 13)
 (buffers 992 13))