Subject: bug#27942: Bug regarding "touch" command

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 06:28:09 -0500

On 08/04/2017 04:09 AM, pavan kumar yalavarthi wrote:
> Thanks,

[top-posting is harder to read on technical lists]

> Can I know why does it work in linux flavours like Red Hat Linux,Kali Linux
> but not ubuntu flavours???

Perhaps you should compare 'touch --version' on the systems with
differing behaviors.  If the versions are different, it could be that
you are using an older version on the one where it doesn't work (reading
NEWS can confirm when the feature was changed; in the case of 'touch -',
the behavior was changed for 5.90 back in 2005).  If the versions claim
to be the same (or newer than the point where NEWS documents that the
change), then your vendor has applied a downstream patch, and you should
ask your vendor to help you find their downstream patches and why they
want the changed behavior from upstream.

-- 
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org