Subject: 24.3; -iconic switch screws up geometry

From: Geoff Kuenning <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2017 13:41:38 -0700

In 24.3.1, starting emacs with the "-iconic" switch causes the main
emacs window to be sized to the width of the icon rather than the width
specified in the X resource database.  Interestingly, the height is
still correct.  Compare the window created by:

    $ emacs &

with the one from:

    $ emacs -iconic &

On my system, the output for "xrdb -query | grep -i emacs" is:

gnuemacs.geometry:      80x78+1180+0
Emacs.Font:     -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal-*-15-*-100-100-*-*-ISO8859-1
gnuemacs*cursorColor:   red
lemacs*cursorColor:     red

(I realize that some of these entries are obsolete...)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.10)
 of 2017-07-05 on cloud131
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:	openSUSE Leap 42.2

Configured using:
 `configure '--with-pop' '--without-hesiod' '--with-kerberos'
 '--with-kerberos5' '--with-xim' '--with-wide-int' '--enable-autodepend'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--localstatedir=/var'
 '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--with-x'
 '--with-sound' '--with-xpm' '--with-jpeg' '--with-tiff' '--with-gif'
 '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-dbus' '--without-gpm'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 '--x-includes=/usr/include' '--x-libraries=/usr/lib64' '--with-xft'
 '--with-libotf' '--with-m17n-flt' '--build=x86_64-suse-linux'
 'build_alias=x86_64-suse-linux' 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0
 -grecord-gcc-switches -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector
 -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -g -D_GNU_SOURCE -pipe
 -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label
 -Wno-unprototyped-calls -fno-optimize-sibling-calls
 -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 '
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2 -Wl,--hash-size=65521''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.utf-8
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill

Recent input:
M-x e m a c s - b u <tab> <tab> <tab> C-g M-x a p r 
o p o s <return> b u g <return> C-x o C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-x 0 M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading `uniquify': old-style backquotes detected!
PGP version set to 5.0.
Setting up indent for shell type sh
setting up indent stuff
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type sh
Note: file is write protected
Wrote /home/geoff/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 27 buffers restored.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit

Load-path shadows:
/home/geoff/lib/notes/notes-first hides ~geoff/elisp/notes-first
/home/geoff/lib/notes/notes-xemacs hides ~geoff/elisp/notes-xemacs
/home/geoff/lib/notes/notes-mode hides ~geoff/elisp/notes-mode
/home/geoff/lib/notes/notes-index-mode hides ~geoff/elisp/notes-index-mode
/home/geoff/lib/notes/notes-variables hides ~geoff/elisp/notes-variables
/home/geoff/lib/notes/notes-url hides ~geoff/elisp/notes-url
/home/geoff/lib/notes/notes-emacs hides ~geoff/elisp/notes-emacs
/home/geoff/lib/notes/notes-aux hides ~geoff/elisp/notes-aux
/home/geoff/lib/notes/notes-bootstrap hides ~geoff/elisp/notes-bootstrap
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/rep-debugger hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rep-debugger
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-init hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/lilypond-init
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/md5 hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3/md5
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/devices hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3/devices
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/suse-start-xslide hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/xslide/suse-start-xslide
~geoff/elisp/uniquify hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/uniquify
~geoff/elisp/remember/remember hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/remember

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config
mm-view mml-smime smime password-cache dig gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group
gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util wid-edit emacsbug message idna
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode apropos sh-script smie executable bibtex
desktop mailcap org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv advice
help-fns cl-lib advice-preload ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs remember paren mailcrypt rfc822 easymenu
notes-variables notes-emacs uniquify server pabbrev tex-mode compile
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring time-date delsel lpr tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
    Geoff Kuenning   [email-masked]   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

An undocumented program is as useless as a non-working one.